Our web server’s character set is ISO-8859 – 1. This has caused some problems when persons input accented characters or other non-ASCII characters into our database. Well, actually the problems occurred when the information was parsed to a webpage.
I’ve tried fixing this several times, but could not figure out how to set the character set on my MySQL tables to ISO-8859 – 1. Until today.
It seems the MySQL equivalent of ISO-8859 – 1 is ‘latin1’. I simply set the tables’ character sets to ‘latin1’, and voilà! Now I have all my accented characters.
Just thought I’d share in case others have the same problem.