Lethbridge is a great place to volunteer.
There are dozens of organizations that always need volunteers, and there are likely just as many events every year throughout the city to help out with. Of course, there is no way I could volunteer for them all, well, unless I quit my job. Even then, it would be tough to fit them all in.
Here are a few of the volunteer opportunities I’ve taken advantage of since moving to Lethbridge in 1998.
- Vice president for the Allied Arts Council
- Liaison chair for the Home Entrepreneurs Alliance of Lethbridge
- Director for the Bikebridge Cycling Association
- Director for the London Road Neighbourhoood Association
- Treasurer for the Southern Alberta Council on Public Affairs
- Director of communications and treasurer for the Allied Arts Council
- Director of communications for the Southern Alberta Technology Council
- President of the Southern Alberta New Media Association
- Chair of the Community Arts Centre Steering Committee
- Member of the Plan Your City Community Advisory Group
- Member of the Lethbridge Circulation Road Study Citizen Advisory Committee
- Two-time chair of the Joan Waterfield Memorial Award Nominations Committee
- Member of the Transit User Group
- Chair of the Lethbridge Small Business Association Steering Committee
- Food collector for Target Hunger (food drive for the local food banks)
- Running concession stand for Party in the Park (homeless shelter fundraiser)
- Labourer for neighbourhood cleanup
- Delivering newsletters
- Running concession for Bright Lights Festival
- Operating information booth for Arts Days
- Usher for several plays
- Dishwasher at the Lethbridge Soup Kitchen
- Labourer for spreading mulch in city parks
These are just some of the ways I have given back to the community that has given me so much.